Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who plays music? =p

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
haru
Admin
haru

ESB Points : 1789

Character sheet
Role-playing: Gundam
Secondary Role::

Who plays music? =p Empty
PostSubject: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime31/1/2011, 12:57 am

Does anyone here play a musical instrument or is interested in learning?

I have been self-teaching myself the basics of music theory for roughly a month now, and it's been challenging since I had no clue on what I was doing when practicing random chords, scales and arpeggios on the piano. That said, things are making a lot of sense now, and I'm finding myself procrastinating on the piano for hours on end. OK, a bit exaggerated, but it's simply too fun and unfortunately frustrating at times when you're stuck on something such as this:

Who plays music? =p Whyyy

Playing those chords in quick succession is hard (for me anyway), but with a couple of more practice sessions, hopefully I can finally put that section to rest and go on to the next part.

So anyhow, whether you play the violin, piano, drums or want to discuss classical/contemporary music, post here!

Back to top Go down
http://parranoia.net
Kaifanatic
Head Fangirl
Kaifanatic

ESB Points : 1195

Character sheet
Role-playing: Snobby Ojou~

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime31/1/2011, 9:38 am

Hahaha! You probably know already but i've played the piano :3
i've also tried guitar, drums and recorder

Yup when i first started (when i was 5) apparently mum had to forcefully get me off the piano seat (by luring me with sweets) because like everything else you encounter that is different and appears beautiful, you just cant resist!

Hmm the only small difficulty i would have with that section would be the 4 note chord =S my hands are a bit small...

Ah a little tip, it would help to put numbers near the notes so you know which fingers to use to play the tune "smoothly" indicated by the slur lololol

Ohhh rubato! Really popular in romantic music (my faaaaaavourite!) and gives you a little freedom (and cover up) on your difficult chord progressions!

Ooh and i see you've found some nice sheet music :3 cant wait to try them out!
Back to top Go down
haru
Admin
haru

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime31/1/2011, 7:55 pm

Wow, it seems like you really know your stuff! The name of the score is actually titled the Theme of Love (piano ver.) from Final Fantasy IV. At least I finally understand what a rubato is now lol.

Besides Nobuo Uematsu's other famous pieces, an interesting point to mention is that the Theme of Love is being taught to Japanese school children as part of their curricular! Pretty amazing considering it was composed for a SNES game haha.
Back to top Go down
Kaifanatic
Head Fangirl
Kaifanatic

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime31/1/2011, 9:55 pm

That's amazing! To think a piece composed for a game would end up on a school curriculum!

Mwahaha i was able to introduce jap anime music (houki boshi) to my highschool and played super mario bros for assembly, didnt get around getting the pokemon theme done before graduation Sad

let there be more anime and game music in public schools! 8D

oh really? I didnt think i explained rubato that clearly though... You must already have a sufficient understanding of the term! Yay =) "robbing of time" refers to distorting the speed (ie. You may play slowly in the beginning of the passage and then decide to play a little quicker in the middle when a melody reaches a high peak in pitch or something, what sounds good to you is a good indication you've done rubato right!)
Back to top Go down
haru
Admin
haru

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime28/2/2011, 6:32 pm

^oh, I think I have forgotten to mention that I had to google up rubato for a vague definition haha. But thanks for the very detailed description and example!

I've been trying to finish learning Gymnopedie no.1 by Erik Satie before I start uni on Wednesday, and the progress has been alright. At least I sort of understand what a friend of mine meant when he told me that this piece contains a lot of dynamics!
Back to top Go down
dannieh
Sempai
dannieh

ESB Points : 170

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime28/2/2011, 10:47 pm

i fail at music T_T"
bought a keyboard in year 7.. stopped playing after a year
bought a violin last year.. stopped after 1 week
bought an acoustic guitar last year also after the violin.. stopped after 2 weeks
sigh T_T"
only thing i can do involving music and yell at a mi where the pop filter takes in my saliva ROFLMAO

KAI! PLAY FOR US 8D
Back to top Go down
http://dannieh.deviantart.com
haru
Admin
haru

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime28/2/2011, 11:58 pm

lol yeah, learning an instrument takes a lot of dedication and patience! Violin is especially difficult to learn because the positioning of the instrument itself and bow can greatly affect the sound.

I do find piano frustrating a lot of the time considering I forget which chords to play, but it's really fun and rewarding once you make some decent progress. And I dare you to learn the keyboard again Danny! =p
Back to top Go down
Kaifanatic
Head Fangirl
Kaifanatic

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime1/3/2011, 8:30 am

Ah yes, i do remember my violinist friends would aggressively protect their bow from being touched by others. Hmm maybe it was better to learn the guitar before learning the violin xD

It's great to see some real dedication haru keep it up!

Hmm and danny i'll play for you sometime, of course you'll have to be wearing earmuffs and be slightly drunk. D: i havent played for so long i'm so rusty!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who plays music? =p   Who plays music? =p I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who plays music? =p
Page 1 of 1