Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is subbed better than dubbed?

Go down 
+14
giga_sennin
smiles
Cytomander
haru
Annie_May66
Xaximn
Yuumei
AoXo
FutureSight
Kaifanatic
hiroshima_X
Miss_Jazzalyn
xX_sephiroth_Xx_FiReIcE
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which is best?
Subbed
Is subbed better than dubbed? I_vote_lcap91%Is subbed better than dubbed? I_vote_rcap
 91% [ 10 ]
Dubbed
Is subbed better than dubbed? I_vote_lcap9%Is subbed better than dubbed? I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
xX_sephiroth_Xx_FiReIcE

ESB Points : 15

Is subbed better than dubbed? Empty
PostSubject: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime26/6/2011, 9:46 pm

i say dubbed, DBZ, POKEMON all sounded pretty good
Back to top Go down
Miss_Jazzalyn
Chibi Member
Miss_Jazzalyn

ESB Points : 907

Character sheet
Role-playing: Haruhi
Secondary Role:: Slave

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime26/6/2011, 10:01 pm

I say it depends. Most of the time I don't really mind. However, I refuse to watch Cardcaptor Sakura dubbed, or any dub that censors too much of the original (like, to the point that it takes from the series itself).
Back to top Go down
http://jazzalyn.tumblr.com/
hiroshima_X
W + M1 Pyro
hiroshima_X

ESB Points : 1377

Character sheet
Role-playing: Demo Knight
Secondary Role:: Law-Abiding Engineer

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime26/6/2011, 10:18 pm

True that Cardcaptor Sakura dubbed is pretty bad but the production that was trying to localize it was attempting to appeal to all genre (I know, wrong vocabulary there). That genre being shonen and shoujo.

Yeah, the original Cardcaptor Sakura (both anime and manga) is shoujo and well... there were some weird stuff going on there. "There's more then one kind of love" in that manga.

---

Addressing the real question though, I'd personally agree on the sub but there are some dubbed anime that are really good. Take DBZ for example, check the original version. The main character sounds like he hasn't hit puberty yet even though he's an adult. Once again, this is entirely my opinion.

Then again, there are some anime that are poorly dubbed. Taking 4kids' One Piece as an example, most of the voice acting is pretty bad (Luffy's and Ussop's were pretty bad). There were some voices that didn't need any accent (Wapol's Russian accent, Nico Robin's South-Western Accent and Sanji's Brooklyn accent).

The only good voice actor in that show is David Moo who voiced Roronoa Zoro. The only redeeming factor that made 4kids' One Piece barely watchable.

So yeah, sub all the way for me.

Back to top Go down
http://hiroshimax.deviantart.com/
Miss_Jazzalyn
Chibi Member
Miss_Jazzalyn

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime26/6/2011, 10:29 pm

@hiroshima_X - It's more the name changes that I objected to in the CSS dub.

I don't recall the accents on One Piece. (I saw some of it on TV in the morning. This was before I really got into anime so I wasn't fussed with the dub/sub thing. Since I'd never seen the subs, I didn't know the difference...)
Back to top Go down
hiroshima_X
W + M1 Pyro
hiroshima_X

ESB Points : 1377

Character sheet
Role-playing: Demo Knight
Secondary Role:: Law-Abiding Engineer

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime26/6/2011, 10:36 pm

Once again. trying to appeal to the audience of all kinds (most like the North-Americans). Though I have to give it to you, the name changes do bug me a little. If they are going to make name changes, do it properly. Change the entire cast instead of half-assing it.

They got names like:

Tomoyo -> Madison
Toya -> Tori (if memory serves me right)
Yukito -> Julian

And then you have Sakura who doesn't get the name change at all. Kinda weird right there.

Back to top Go down
http://hiroshimax.deviantart.com/
Miss_Jazzalyn
Chibi Member
Miss_Jazzalyn

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime26/6/2011, 10:50 pm

And the new names sound nothing like the originals. Well Yukito --> Julian isn't that bad, but Tomoyo --> Madison?

Sakura probably stayed the same because if they changed her name, they'd have to rename the series.
Back to top Go down
Kaifanatic
Head Fangirl
Kaifanatic

ESB Points : 1195

Character sheet
Role-playing: Snobby Ojou~
Secondary Role::

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime27/6/2011, 11:01 am

I prefer subs mostly. But I'm finding heaps of pros for dubs too

Haha I actually enjoyed the cardcaptors dub, it still had the shoujo-y atmosphere.

What really annoyed me was romeo x juliet dub, the voice actors had this whispery voice which I absolutely loathed! No one in real life talks like that!

They also have to change the jokes that are meant to be in Japanese to English but it usually takes away the humour factor

Although I do notice English speaking voice actors had a much deeper voice for male main characters ~

I must give a notable mention of duel masters, they had awesome dubs, the OVER 9000 meme was better in English.
Back to top Go down
FutureSight
Enthusiastic Member
FutureSight

ESB Points : 191

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime27/6/2011, 8:17 pm

Subs are better. Spoken Japanese is so much more emotive. English doesn't let you shout out stupid awesome things.

Although Iron chef dubbing is just funny!
Back to top Go down
AoXo
AoXo

ESB Points : 56

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime22/2/2012, 6:11 pm

I have to go with dubbed. I don't know any Japanese so any intricate cultural things I might miss don't bother me. If the story can't be adapted to English well then it's probably not something meant for a Western audience.
Back to top Go down
Yuumei
Happy-Go-Lucky Member
Yuumei

ESB Points : 1024

Character sheet
Role-playing: Imagination
Secondary Role:: Otaku

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime22/2/2012, 10:28 pm

I prefer subbed. Because well, Japanese sounds beautiful and occasionally confusing at the same time. Japanese art and English voice-overs only really worked (in my perspective) for Pokemon and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Nowadays, I watched subbed, and pretty much only subbed.
Back to top Go down
http://narutoprofile.wikia.com/wiki/User:Ain_Soph_Aur
Xaximn
Xaximn

ESB Points : 49
Location : Floating around in your subconscious, It's really messy in here.

Character sheet
Role-playing:

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime23/2/2012, 9:33 pm

As it has been said before me, It entirely depends on the series. Some dubs are absolutely fantastic, on par or even surpassing their Japanese counterparts (I'm looking at you Baccano!) While at times, they can sound completely horrid; Like the wails of a cat being thrown into the stratosphere with it's primary mode of transport being a blender.

Then again, I often wonder if ambiguity is the saving grace for a great deal of anime, I'm assuming (Please do correct me if I'm wrong as I'm quite new here) that a large portion of us aren't familiar with the Japanese language, possibly meaning we might be unintentionally overlooking bad voice acting or presentation due to a lack of understanding.
Back to top Go down
Annie_May66
Annie_May66

ESB Points : 5

Character sheet
Role-playing:

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime25/2/2012, 7:58 am

I would have to say dubbed is better because then you don't have to read anything. But I do agree that some dubbed anime is terrible and I refuse to watch/listen to it. I usually look for

dubbed versions before English subbed. : )
Back to top Go down
Cheesy Member

ESB Points : 105

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime28/2/2012, 10:20 pm

I usually prefer subbed to dubbed, but i really do appreciate the fact that it's usually the dub version that gets people hooked onto the whole anime/ manga genre. But when i listen to subbed versions, I sometimes wonder if that's how the original manga-ka envisons' their characters voice... Is subbed better than dubbed? 132581
Back to top Go down
haru
Admin
haru

ESB Points : 1789

Character sheet
Role-playing: Gundam

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime28/2/2012, 11:33 pm

A mix of both. Back when I first ventured into the anime frenzy, a high school friend lent me his box collection of Love Hina and Happy Lesson which had English dubs, and I loved it. Being attached to some of the characters when watching the dubbed version made me prefer the English voice actors over their Japanese counterparts for a while.

These days I'm pretty lax about Eng dubs, though most of the things I watch are in subtitles. My general rule of thumb is that If a series has my fave Japanese seiyuus, then it's subs for me.
Back to top Go down
http://parranoia.net
Cytomander
Psychopathic Member
Cytomander

ESB Points : 919

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime28/2/2012, 11:42 pm

For me, it depends purely on the quality of the dub. If it's good, I'd rather watch it in english.
Back to top Go down
smiles
Sempai
smiles

ESB Points : 2405

Character sheet
Role-playing: Seme >:D
Secondary Role:: Corporate Lawyer c:

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime2/3/2012, 5:40 pm

Subs for me~

Dubs are rare but sometimes i like them c:
Back to top Go down
http://www.makaaachaaan.deviantart.com
giga_sennin
giga_sennin

ESB Points : 60

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime12/3/2012, 1:12 am

My friends to me subbed will always be better then dubbed, simple fact is its original...
Dubbed animes like DBZ by funimation made DBZ crap i ahve the original Jap version with its full violence and story much better then the US versions, However Dragonball Kai is a remake of DBZ and its hectic...
get it while u can !!!!
Back to top Go down
Cytomander
Psychopathic Member
Cytomander

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime12/3/2012, 2:34 am

giga_sennin wrote:
simple fact is its original...

Being original doesn't automatically make it the best.

giga_sennin wrote:

Dubbed animes like DBZ by funimation made DBZ crap

Absolutely ridiculous.

giga_sennin wrote:

i ahve the original Jap version with its full violence and story much better then the US versions,

And I have an English dub set that contains all 291 episodes that are completely uncut, filled with all the blood and violence of the japanese release. Not to mention the infinitely superior Bruce Faulconer score.

Back to top Go down
Otoha
Admin
Otoha

ESB Points : 1972

Character sheet
Role-playing: Bishounen
Secondary Role:: Bark-faced

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime12/3/2012, 6:45 pm

I'm pretty surprised that people here watch dubs, when I look back and watch dragonball or pokemon I feel like slamming my face into a wall...
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
Cytomander
Psychopathic Member
Cytomander

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime12/3/2012, 10:39 pm

Otoha wrote:
I'm pretty surprised that people here watch dubs, when I look back and watch dragonball or pokemon I feel like slamming my face into a wall...

Yes, because Pokemon/DBZ is indicative of all english dubs.
Back to top Go down
Otoha
Admin
Otoha

ESB Points : 1972

Character sheet
Role-playing: Bishounen
Secondary Role:: Bark-faced

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime12/3/2012, 11:14 pm

Actually it is!
Otoha: 1
Sarcasm: 0
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
TabZ
Cute Member
TabZ

ESB Points : 947

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime12/3/2012, 11:26 pm

im going with subbed, if anyone has watched bleach or even one piece in both sub/dub they will understand the horror of dubbed versions
the only anime i reckon has a good dubbed version is Black Lagoon
Back to top Go down
chocho
Angry Member
chocho

ESB Points : 691

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime20/3/2012, 9:06 pm

I reckon 90% of dubs are crap. Exceptions include Pokemon, Dragonball and various Ghibli movies.
Back to top Go down
~Suigintou~
Admin
~Suigintou~

ESB Points : 2073

Character sheet
Role-playing: Godoka
Secondary Role:: Homura's rabu~

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime20/3/2012, 10:57 pm

I liked FMA: Brotherhood dubs, they were pretty good.
Back to top Go down
smiles
Sempai
smiles

ESB Points : 2405

Character sheet
Role-playing: Seme >:D
Secondary Role:: Corporate Lawyer c:

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime20/3/2012, 10:58 pm

Hetalia Dubs are excellent~
Back to top Go down
http://www.makaaachaaan.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is subbed better than dubbed?   Is subbed better than dubbed? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is subbed better than dubbed?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anime & Manga-
Jump to: