Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pokemon DS competition- proposal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
~Suigintou~
Admin
~Suigintou~

ESB Points : 2073

Character sheet
Role-playing: Godoka
Secondary Role:: Homura's rabu~

Pokemon DS competition- proposal Empty
PostSubject: Pokemon DS competition- proposal   Pokemon DS competition- proposal I_icon_minitime26/5/2010, 5:55 pm

For all you Pokefan club members, you probably want to reply to this.
An anime club from one of the unis in AnimeSydney (UNSW) has this idea to hold a Pokemon DS battle tournament and want approval from all the clubs for the go-ahead.

Next post has the rules and regulations.

Quote :
Hello,

This is Cameron, AnimeUNSW's Gaming Director.

I'd like to propose a Pokemon DS competition to AnimeSydney and want to know everyone's opinion on the idea. I understand that SUAnime has their own Pokemon event but as it is vastly different to the one being proposed, I'd also like to have their approval on this too.

As this event can't move ahead without the agreement of all clubs, it'd be nice if everyone come to a decision as soon as possible.

I have attached the core details of the competition to this email along with some details to be decided depending on the popularity of this competition. Suggestions of where and when this event should be held are welcome. The most convenient time would be when all universities have their semester break, so how does the start of July sound? Also who should I contact if I want to get prizes from Nintendo for this competition?

Any feedback or questions would be great.

Cameron Chu

Last edited by ~Suigintou~ on 26/5/2010, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~Suigintou~
Admin
~Suigintou~

ESB Points : 2073

Character sheet
Role-playing: Godoka
Secondary Role:: Homura's rabu~

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon DS competition- proposal   Pokemon DS competition- proposal I_icon_minitime26/5/2010, 5:55 pm

Pokemon 4th Generation DS Competition

Quote :
RULES

Level 50 cap. This is just so that it will be easier for people to build teams rather than having it set at level 100. It will be impossible though for some Pokemon to be used, such as Tyranitar and Dragonite, as they evolve after level 50. While there is a mode in Heart Gold/Soul Silver that allows all Pokemon to revert to their level 50 stats via Flat Battle, not everyone will have HG/SS.

The tournament will be played under what is called the “Overused” tier. In this tier most Pokemon can be used, including several legendaries. There are some that are not though simply because they’re too powerful and over centralising (ie in order to win, only a handful of Pokemon in the entire game will be used). The list of what can’t be used can be found here, but note that it can change slightly over time: http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

Sleep clause will be in effect, meaning that you can only induce one Pokemon from the opposing team into the sleep status, whether it be due to Hypnosis, Sleep Powder, Grass Whistle, Sing or Yawn. This does not take into account if the opponent chooses to use the move Rest to self induce sleep (i.e. you can still induce sleep even if half the opponent’s team is asleep due to the opponent selecting them to use Rest)

Item clause will also be in effect, meaning that multiple items of the same kind cannot be used across different Pokemon on your team. The item Soul Dew will also be banned as the one Pokemon allowed in this tournament that can actually use it, Latias, is far too strong with it.

Evasion and one hit knock out moves are banned. These moves include Double Team, Minimize, Fissure, Sheer Cold and Horn Drill. This is to reduce the amount of chance that is involved in an already luck ridden game that could easily determine who wins.

Not having any deep experience with playing against other people through the DS, I can’t say for sure if a time limit should be implemented. Some games can genuinely go for upwards of an hour though, so this should be taken into account. As a general standard, so long as players don’t take too long making a move and don’t have teams whose purpose to win is through spikes/sandstorm/pp stall that will be fine.

Legit games only. This is because Nintendo can now track ID numbers that come from games that are downloaded illegally. While it may seem like they can’t do anything, you will be banned from special promotions or competitions regarding Pokemon if caught. Also if you have ever traded or battled someone with an illegitimate game, that record will be left on your game too, even if it is genuine.

These are pretty much all the basic rules for competitive battling. If there is anything unclear about this, or if I have left something out, please tell me.

STRUCTURE

Initial 3v3 eliminations with participants determined within brackets. The number in each bracket can be determined later when we get a better idea of how many people are signing up. Within each bracket, there are several ways to decide on who moves on. Say for example there are 4 players. 2 win, 2 lose. The losers battle it out, as do the winners. The loser on the losers side will be eliminated, with the winner of that taking on the loser of the winners side. The winner of *that* will go up against the winner winner (if that makes sense). Here’s how it would work assuming the 4 players are named A, B, C and D:

A win v B lose C win v D lose

A win v C lose B lose v D win

C lose v D win

A lose v D win
By doing it like this, it will give players a chance if they lose because of that unlucky critical hit or some mental implosion, rewarding instead team structure and general playing skill.
As we get closer to the end players will utilise full 6v6 teams against each other, ideally over Pokemon Battle Revolution so we can watch the epic battle on screen. The winner and runner ups will get prizes, soon to be decided
Back to top Go down
Kaifanatic
Head Fangirl
Kaifanatic

ESB Points : 1195

Character sheet
Role-playing: Snobby Ojou~
Secondary Role::

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon DS competition- proposal   Pokemon DS competition- proposal I_icon_minitime26/5/2010, 6:44 pm

YAY for the proposal!!!!!!<3

DAWW..... i don't have a legit game....

Nah time limit shouldn't be put on it, maybe a bonus should be put on people who finish their battles quickly? 8D
Back to top Go down
Graustein
Cheesy Member
Graustein

ESB Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon DS competition- proposal   Pokemon DS competition- proposal I_icon_minitime26/5/2010, 10:19 pm

While I am the biggest Pokemon nerd ever, I don't think I'll be competing. I very much dislike tournaments of my favourite games, especially one like Pokemon which needs you to assemble the Perfect Team (tm) including EV training, breeding for IVs, getting the right nature, chain breeding for the perfect moveset, blah blah blah. I hate it.

If they were to hold it on ShoddyBattle, I'd consider it, since it takes all the work out of assembling your team. Otherwise though, I'm just not dedicated enough to a single team; much rather do thematic playthroughs tbh.

That said, I am still a massive Pokemon nerd, and know all about IVs, EVs, chain breeding, the mechanics of the game, how to increase likelihood of a good nature, etc. and will gladly share my knowledge if you ask and I like you.

Have fun, those who enter!

Edit: It is possible to do a flat battle on wireless, even for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. It requires that you connect to the internet and play online, which means it may not be possible, but it's there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon DS competition- proposal   Pokemon DS competition- proposal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pokemon DS competition- proposal
Page 1 of 1